The Federal Commission for Nutrition, the FCN has several roles, including
- Advising the FSVO on questions regarding nutrition, eating habits, diseases in relation to nutrition.
- Writing scientific reports including recommendations to the Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office (FSVO).
- Participating in drafting the Swiss report on nutrition.
- Providing the scientific bases needed for the implementation of the Swiss nutritional strategy and for the setting up of the national strategy for the prevention of non-communicable diseases.
- Representing and defending topics linked to nutrition with other groups of experts. Taking up a position in regard to strategies and scientific opinions in the event of public consultations.